Q. What issues must our organization consider relating to sample medications?
- Patient-specific medication information must be available in some fashion (MM.1.10)
- Medication must be safely stored (MM.2.20)
- Medication orders must be written clearly (MM.3.20)
- There must be a written order for every medication (IM.6.20)
- Medications are appropriately labeled, Element of Performance #3 at a minimum - this information is usually included on the container (MM.4.30)
- You must be able to retrieve sample medications if recalled, discontinued, or expired (MM.4.70 and MM.4.80)
- As with any medication, you must monitor the effect (MM.6.10)
- As with any medication, you must address actual or potential adverse drug events and error (MM.6.20)
- As with any medication, if appropriate to the patient's needs, education is provided (PC.6.10).
- If the patient is transferred to another Provider, setting, level of care, a complete list of current medications, must be communicated (National Patient Safety Goal 8B).